We are studying metabolism while marching with a heavy military backpack in dry and humid environments. Your first 3 visits will consist of completing questionnaires, a health screening & a series of exercises. During the following 6 visits you will perform treadmill walking while carrying a heavy military backpack.
The purpose of this study is to determine metabolic energy ependiture during fatiguing warfighter tasks in two thermally stressful environments.
Compensation may include cash, checks, gift cards, debit cards, or incentives like gift baskets, technology items, or merchandise.
Healthy, physically active females (18-39 y) who pass the Occupational Physical Assessment Test (OPAT) with at least a gray score in each task (significant job requirement) will be eligible to participate. To ensure that extraneous variables do not impact study results, subjects will be excluded from participation for any of the following reasons:
- History of cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory, neural, or renal disease
- Hypertensive or tachycardic during the screening visit (SBP > 139 mmHg, DBP > 89 mmHg, heart rate > 100 bpm)
- Taking medication or supplements with a known side effect of affecting physiologic responses to exercise (e.g., beta blockers, omega-3 fatty acids, statins, aspirin)
- Any form of tobacco or nicotine use
- Gastrointestinal disease or previous surgery prohibiting core temperature capsule use
- A positive pregnancy test at any point in the study
- Study physician discretion based on any other medical condition or medication
Let us know how the study team can reach you. If you do not hear back within 2 business days, reach out to the study team directly at the
contact information above or email email@example.com and someone will assist you.
Your information will be shared only with the research study team for recruitment purposes and designated CTSI personnel for project quality
assurance and will remain confidential. Your information will be stored indefinitely. Should you no longer want this information to be provided
in the aforementioned ways, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.