Programs and Services
The primary mission of the University at Buffalo Incubators is to provide an environment that assists start-up technology-based companies in becoming independent, thriving businesses. We do this through an emphasis on business assistance and practical skills. Our program is specially designed to help companies survive and grow through the start-up period when they are most vulnerable.
We provide management counsel and networking opportunities, access to university expertise, University business databases and library facilities, University purchasing power, and assistance with capital sourcing.
We believe that in order for a technology start-up to succeed, it must be afforded a comprehensive package of support services. Accordingly, the UB Technology Incubator and the UB Biosciences Incubator provide:
- Experienced Mentors. A unique and highly regarded component of the program is our mentoring service. Each tenant/client has the opportunity to work with a mutually agreed upon mentor who has had related and successful experience in the company’s particular industry. The mentor is much more than an advisor. He or she provides one-on-one, in-depth guidance during much of the period the company is with the Incubator.
- Exposure to a Network of Experts. The Incubators are structured around an active advisory committee, mentors, and a network of professionals who are successful executives from private technology companies, professional practices, consulting firms, the public sector, and universities. Their expertise is shared on an on-going basis with those involved with the program. The bottom line is, affiliation with one of the Incubators can greatly enhance a company’s credibility within the business community.
- Access to Valuable Resources. Student interns, technical experts, learned faculty members and library materials are available to assist the start-up entrepreneur. The Incubators also facilitate access to outside professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and consultants who are able to assist tenants at no cost or at discounted rates. Entrée to local economic development agencies is also facilitated.
- Educational Programs. Regular seminars, training sessions and round table discussions are an integral part of the program. Practical topics relating to financial planning, capital acquisition, strategic business planning, and organizational development, to name a few, are taught by attorneys, bankers, consultants and other Incubator sponsors.
- Access to Capital. Incubator affiliation facilitates access to capital sources such as banks, venture capitalists, angel investors, and corporate strategic partners. Incubator professionals can help a client negotiate strategies, perform due diligence, and structure deals. The Incubators are affiliated with the Western New York Business Development Fund and Western New York Venture Association, which provide seed capital for area high-tech businesses.
- State of the Art Facilities. The Incubators’ state-of-the-art, multi-tenant facilities are subdivided into individual suites ranging from 200-800 sq. ft. Rental of multiple suites is permitted. Suites are available in either wet laboratory or office space configurations, and are suitable for office activity, research and development, assembly or light manufacturing. Wet laboratory space includes fume hoods and lab benching with deionized water, natural gas, compressed air, and vacuum capabilities. Safety showers and eyewash fountains are strategically placed throughout the facility. Each office or lab offers high speed Internet connectivity via the UB backbone. Conference rooms and audio-visual equipment are also available. Importantly, the terms of occupancy are extremely flexible and do not involve a long-term lease commitment. A copier and fax machine are also available on-site. Included, at no additional expense to the Client, are: All utilities except telephone (connections provided); University VOIP; Teleconference and Videoconference capabilities; Loading Dock, Free Off-Street Parking (at the Technology Incubator); Wheelchair Access; 24 hour access and security; Postage machine; Common eating area; Mail handling; and Building maintenance and janitorial service.